Pressure from the family
I am sure that many young persons can relate to what I am about to write about. It comes to our attention that when we reach the age of 30 or even 25 you start to think; why am I not married and then the worst thing is that all your friends that you went to school with are telling you that they are either engaged or getting married. Your best friend tells you, don’t worry girl your time will come. The one thing that we experience growing up in African families is that you are now 30 years old and when I was your age (meaning like I started having children when I was 22 years old) I was already married. African relatives do not realise that times have changed and that these days women are actually professionals, you have Directors, Managers, Executives and now comes careers before marriage. We always say that there is a time but is there or is it the past thinking that is coming into play? These days the men are not out there and they feel intimidated by the working lady. You also have ladies who have the Masters degree or the PHD. Now the man is used to the woman being not educated and just there in the home waiting to serve the husband. The perfect scenario is that the man arrives home from work and the wife receives him at the door. That era is gone; past tense!
No comments:
Post a Comment